Sunday, November 4, 2012

To Eat or Not to Eat...McDonald's edition


Okay, internal struggle time. As I was in the shower this afternoon (afternoon, not morning because my sleep schedule is all over the place. At 4 in the morning my brain went "Let's Play!!!" Stupid brain...) I smelled something delicious. Fried something. Unhealthy something. Delicious something. And honestly, it kind of smelled like McDonald's french fries. I am ashamed.

I live in one of the best countries for healthy eating. Have you ever seen an overweight Spaniard? Well, I have. But they are few and far between. Most of them are slim, sexy, and smoke like chimneys. But besides the inhaling of toxic fumes, most of these people are actually very healthy. Fresh seafood is readily available, and the fresh market is filled with faces of freshly killed animals ready to be put on your plate. Although that seems gross, it's actually quite good for you. Since there are no preservatives pumped in to the meat, they just hand it to you all bloody and gross...okay, done with the graphic terms. (But really you should go sometime. It's fun)
See? That animal fed people that day.
But today, I really, really, really want McDonald's. And I'm not proud of that. Not by a long shot. But in my defense, I have been cooped up in the house eating normal food since Wednesday night. Actually, I was sick in bed Tuesday as well, so I've been stuck in the house for quite some time. And in this duration, I've been eating maybe a meal and a half a day. That is not the fault of my host family in the slightest. My sleeping schedule is off because of my ear infection, so 2pm is breakfast now. Anyway. I've been eating pastries for "lunch" because they're rather close to my house, are really cheap, and require little to no effort to obtain. But today, today I want food.

So I looked up the nearest McDonald's which happens to be in my neighborhood! (Yay Sants!) It's just a few blocks up from the street around the corner. (This is why I suck at directions. Did you read that? Did you understand it? I sure as hell didn't) Walking distance. To delicious fried food. *yay!*

But here's the funny thing: Reviews from Spanish people about McDonald's. They hate it, and it's really amusing. I'll translate some of my favorites for you:
1. Who would eat this garbage?
2. Fast and bad, you can eat it, but it's not good for you.
3. ONLY if you need something to eat quickly.
4. It would not be good for your health, but it is rich in saturated fats.

I'm not kidding. This is what Spanish people think of McDonald's. And it's wonderful. So, I'm going to go grab a McWhatzit and eat some terrible food. :-) And I'm okay with that.  


*Note* This has been edited to have correct comma usage and so-on. Also, I did not actually make it to a McDonald's today. I did however, eat at a Pans & Company, which is also fast food, but the menu is in Catalan. FTW

No comments:

Post a Comment